The Transition Coordinator for the 9th Grade Matters program will serve to organize, administer and advance all aspects of this joint initiative of the Crossroads Foundation and Extra Mile Foundation focused on successful preparation for and transition to high school for middle grades students. The Transition Coordinator will work alongside key staff at both nonprofits as well as with the teachers and administrators at the Extra Mile schools: Sister Thea Bowman Catholic Academy in Wilkinsburg, Saint Benedict the Moor Academy in the Hill District, and Northside Assumption Catholic Academy in Brighton Heights. In addition, the Transition Coordinator will also work with Crossroads host high schools and with Crossroads summer programs to support the successful transitions of students from 8th to 9th grade. While the Transition Coordinator will be based at the Crossroads Foundation space in North Point Breeze, travel among all sites will be frequent and required.
Reports to: Director of Programs, Crossroads Foundation
For thirty years, Crossroads Foundation and Extra Mile Foundation have worked in their respective organizations to offer access to quality Catholic schools for students from under-served communities. Extra Mile subsidizes three K-8 schools in low-income neighborhoods and provides additional scholarship support to African American students attending other Diocesan elementary schools. Crossroads Foundation provides scholarship support and enrichment programming to low-income students in Catholic high schools in Allegheny County. Extra Mile and Crossroads have successfully helped hundreds of students achieve a path out of poverty through education; in fact, over 350 students are alumni of both organizations having attended an Extra Mile school and gone through the Crossroads program.
The 9th Grade Matters Collaboration, which was piloted during the 2015-16 academic year, was developed to create a strong, seamless K-12 educational pathway for students from under-resourced communities. This collaboration between Extra Mile and Crossroads is designed to streamline our services, enhance our programming, and ultimately, provide better and more comprehensive educational supports for our students. To this end, our emerging partnership is focused on assisting our students and their families in accessing available resources, understanding educational options and strengthening their preparation for high school and college success. The Transition Coordinator will build upon the initiatives and programs from the first years of implementation as well as.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The responsibilities of the Transition Coordinator will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Middle Grades Transition Program Development:
- Develop and lead transition workshops for students in grades 7/8 at St. Benedict the Moor, Sr. Thea Bowman Catholic Academy and Northside Assumption Catholic Academy. Create curriculum & activities for each session, present material, coordinate topics and follow up activities with transition coordinators, and monitor and assess workshop effectiveness.
- Meet with Extra Mile middle grades students to plan for high school. Work with students and parents to set goals and document progress; connect students with resources and monitor students’ plans after graduation.
- Develop Career Awareness and College Prep activities/field trips for middle grades students in collaboration with staff at each school as well as Crossroads program partners.
Education and Career Planning Support:
- Support recruitment efforts at Crossroads Foundation by preparing materials, giving presentations and attending events.
- Provide support for middle grades activities periods and afterschool mentoring programs through leading activities, assisting with scheduling, making contacts and soliciting supplies.
- Organize after school tutoring sessions for middle grades students in need of additional support. Collaborate with school personnel and Crossroads academic director to determine tutoring needs of students and support their academic progress.
- Recruit, schedule and supervise Crossroads scholars, alumni or YPLC to serve as tutors, mentors or speakers for middle grades students.
Summer Transition Program Support:
- Provide coordination and staffing support for Crossroads 9th grade programs including, but not limited to, Parent-Scholar Commitment Meetings, Math and English Enrichment, Connecting with Crossroads Week, and Matriculation.
- Monitor transition of Extra Mile graduates into high school of their choice; trouble shoot and provide guidance when needed.
Communication and Coordination:
- Track educational placements and progress of Extra Mile alumni and support alumni development efforts.
- Develop regular communication strategies with all involved parties to highlight project successes, ongoing efforts and upcoming events.
- Attend 9th Grade Matters team meetings and Crossroads staff meetings, complete project timelines, reports and assessments, and fulfill other team responsibilities as assigned by the Program Director
Qualifications and Experience Needed:
Bachelor’s Degree required. Degree or significant coursework in education or social service fields a plus.
Knowledge and Experience
Prior work experience in a youth-serving organization or educational setting is required with some experience in program administration preferred. The incumbent must also demonstrate strong communication and organizational skills as well as a commitment to social justice, particularly access to quality educational opportunities for all regardless of income or neighborhood.
This position also requires:
- Accuracy & attention to detail;
- Strong technological skills;
- Excellent organizational and communications skills;
- Ability to work well with different constituencies;
- Personal Initiative, Dedication and Follow through;
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at multiple sites in timely, consistent manner.
Have or obtain criminal and child abuse clearances as required by state and federal law and Diocesan schools. Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation as travel between sites is required.
Salary & Benefits:
The Transition Coordinator is full time, exempt employee eligible for benefits including health, dental and retirement plans. The salary range for this position is $38,000 – $43,000 annually. Crossroads Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring and developing a diverse team of professionals reflective of the communities we serve.